Sunday, September 12, 2010

Nun's Puffs

Not these Nun's.... but these Nun's

[Pass the Pocky]

I woke up this morning and felt like going out to eat.  With the hubs in China still it doesn't make me really want to cook.  But I figured a slow morning at home was what Davis and I both needed.  So I skimmed through my good ol' Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for a french toast recipe.  I came across Nun's Puffs.  Having never heard about these I figured I'd give them a shot.  I decided to halve the recipe, which usually doesn't work out so well, but since it was easy ingredients I figured I'd try.

They turned out great!  The puff up so beautifully in the oven and fall just a touch when removed.  The best way to describe the flavor is fluffy yet dense with a bit of egg flavor...you see they taste like German Pancakes, only they aren't flat.  So I sprinkled a little powdered sugar on them with syrup and enjoyed!

Here is the receipe if you want to give them a shot:

Nun's Puffs
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
Honey * or syrup and powdered sugar
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Generously grease twelve 2 1/2 inch muffin cups, including the edge and around the top of each cup. Set aside. In a medium saucepan melt butter; add milk. Bring to boiling. Add flour all at once, stirring vigorously. Cook and stir until mixture forms a ball that does not separate. Remove from heat; cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute with a wooden spoon after each addition or until smooth. Divide dough evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling cups about two-thirds full; sprinkle with sugar.

3. Bake about 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove from pan. Serve immediately. If desired, serve with honey (or syrup and powdered sugar :) 

On to other news, I didn't have any luck finding a professional organizer.  So my sister in law offered to help.  She did a walk through and we basically made a game plan.  It involves moving things around in 5 rooms, a hallway closet, and some of my kitchen cupboards.  So its going to take a while, but I now have a plan and am not freaking out as much anymore.  I've got just about 3 months until baby girl comes, with work being super busy, life at home busy and a few trips planned its going to go quickly.

2 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

They look delicious! I'm glad you post lots of recipes. They always look so good and give me new recipes to try.

Jenn said...

We are trying that recipe soon, yum!!